The Super Emeralds are shaped in a brilliant diamond cut. The color of the Super Emeralds match the colors used in Sonic 3. The only difference between this and current canon colors is that an orange Emerald is used in place of yellow. The Super Emeralds are also much larger than the Chaos Emeralds.
- The Super Emeralds are the first instance of Emeralds in the Sonic the Hedgehog series having brilliant diamond cut (the Master Emerald, which also has a brilliant diamond cut, was also introduced in Sonic & Knuckles).
- In Mushroom Hill Zone, it is possible to collect all 7 Super Emeralds. 3 in Act 1 and 4 in Act 2.
- Strangely, when you get the red Emerald, then either the blue or yellow Emerald, the red Emerald appears dark violet.
- The Super Emeralds can be very easily gained by activating the Level Select code and choosing "Special Stage 2" and you'll play the same stage repeatedly, and gain the Super Emeralds easily. The Emerald itself would be yellow but the game would think you gained the other ones and you will still be able to get the Hyper forms after it says the character got all the Super Emeralds, despite gaining the same yellow Emerald. They won't appear in the Hidden Palace with the Master Emerald though, but you will still get the best ending.
- In Sonic Adventure, when the player sees the past Emerald Shrine, the Chaos Emeralds shown there are, in comparison to the Master Emerald, about the same size as the Super Emeralds. They are also larger than the Chaos Emeralds in the rest of the game, and referred to simply as "the Emeralds". It is highly likely that these are the Super Emeralds, though they are never referred to as such.